Sunday, January 23, 2011

Super Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I have made this soup a few times, and everyone seems to love it. And, well, it's seemingly idiot-proof.



You need:
~ Crock-Pot (the bigger kind)
{you could use a pot on the stove, but since I tend to burn 90% of what gets cooked on the stove, the crock-pot is my new kitchen bff}
~ Chopped chicken breast {I took the lazy way out here and used can chicken. You could do turkey or ham too}
~ Cheese sauce (and shredded cheese for topping)
~ Milk
~ Frozen Veggies: about 16oz broccoli, and any other veggies you'd like {I finished off my broccoli bag, and added corn and peas}
~ Optional: salt & pepper

Now, the making it part:
~ Cook your chicken (turkey/ham/whatnot) and slice into small chunks (bite size, I'm not responsible if you choke)
~ Important: plug in and turn on crock-pot to low (I often forget this step, come back 30 mins later, and wonder why it's not cooking...)
~ Add chicken and veggies to crock-pot
~ Add cheese sauce to crock-pot (save the sauce bottle)
~ Fill sauce jar up with milk and add to soup (Do this twice)
~ Optional : If you like your soup more cheesy tasting add about 1 cup shredded cheese to melt in.


Let cook about 2 hours, stirring occasionally and enjoy your easy idiot proof dinner.
Just serve and add extra cheese, salt, and pepper (to taste).
This serves about 4, but you could easily double it for a larger family or get-together.

Also, since I'm lactose intolerant (weird soup for me, right?),  I prefer a less cheesy tasting soup, and let hubby add his own cheese to his. You could probably do 2 jars of cheese sauce and 1 jar of milk for a really thick cheesy tasting soup.

Approximate cost (for 4): $6.00 total (assuming you have milk on hand) - only $1.50 person.

Enjoy!

Let me know how it works out for you if you try it, or any variations you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment!
Please remember to keep it on topic, and free of any offensive language.

Any comments violating these terms is subject to removal.