Sunday, January 30, 2011

Homemade Salsa

My latest addiction : Salsa. Homemade Salsa. Really yummy homemade (by me) salsa. Which is super easy to make, by the way.



1 - 16oz can of diced tomatoes
4 - med.size ripe tomatoes 
1  onion (part)
1  green pepper (part)
1 & 1/2 cups corn
2 tbs cilantro
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs lime juice
(optional - hot sauce)

Place the can of diced tomatoes into a food processor, blend until smooth. Add black pepper, onion powder, ground red pepper, and garlic powder (and hot sauce) to tomato sauce, blend until mixed. Set aside.

Dice tomatoes into small pieces, place into large bowl, add cilantro and corn, set aside.
Dice green peppers and onion into small pieces (about 1 cup each) add to tomato, corn and cilantro. Add lime juice. Stir until well mixed. Pour tomato sauce mixture onto veggie mixture, stir until well blended, and enjoy your yummy salsa.

Now, I myself am not very good at slicing and dicing veggies (and I like having all my fingers). So .... I use a little chopper.  It makes chopping a lot easier. And, a little tip - freeze the veggies. Slice the tomato into slices, and the onion and pepper into strips, and put in the freezer for maybe 5 minutes. This helped a lot, because it firmed up the veggies, and they were completely defrosted by the time the salsa was mixed and ready to eat. Just store any leftovers in an airtight container or jar in the fridge.   

This is like my food chopper - I have the mini version. I'll probably upgrade to the regular size version soon. (The mini was about $5, the regular $9, in black at walmart)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment!
Please remember to keep it on topic, and free of any offensive language.

Any comments violating these terms is subject to removal.