Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What's on your wish list ...?

Do you remember being little, sitting down with the big toy books, picking out all the toys that looked so cool, that you just had to have?
Maybe it was just a child of the 80's thing?
Pre-internet.

You'd look and look and look, then make your 'wish list' for the holidays, hoping that you'd get some of the things you really wanted (and not socks. or dorky sweaters). Usually you ended up with both.

My mom and I were talking about the holidays, and the anticipation you felt as a child, to see what gifts you got, what santa brought you ...
Christmas time is more fun if you have children.
There's just something more magical about it.

For our family, we have decided not to have Santa. Not that the holidays won't be special for our children. We just won't have visits from 'Santa'. I plan to wrap presents for under the tree, then have a few 'special presents' for each child that get put out after bed Christmas Eve (essentially what Santa does, without the label).
So, without Santa, do we need a 'wish list'?
Yes and No.
Since I plan to be around my kids all the time, I'll probably have a pretty good idea what they are wanting. But, we do have grandparents who like to spoil kids (more so than I do....), so the list might be beneficial there. Plus, isn't it just fun to sit down and think about the things you'd like to have? 

On the flip side. I kinda hate the idea of making a list of things I want. It's like saying 'buy me this this and this'. And I don't like that. Nor do I want my children to grow up thinking it's ok to make demands for what they want, or have the expectation that just because they want it, they will get it. Receiving gifts is a blessing, not a guarantee, and I want them to be grateful for anything they receive (even socks and dorky sweaters).
{Can you tell I'm really disliking the spoiled, bratty children our society seems to be taken over by?}

So, I thought it might be nice for me to sit down and make up a 'wish list' of my own.
The things I would like to have, sometime.

Here is my wish list:
(In no particular order)
DYMO Letratag  Plus Personal Label Maker, LT-100T (1733013)
{ Dymo Letratag Label Maker}
Scotch Thermal Laminator Combo Pack, Includes 20 Letter-Size Laminating Pouches, Holds Sheets up to 8.5" x 11(TL902VP)
{Laminator. Actually, I like this Purple Cows one.}



The Curiosity Shoppe at Target® Oven Mitt & Pot Holder

{ New pot holders and oven mitts}





{Hamburger Press}




{ An awesome mixer. One day. Eventually.}
(I'm using a hand mixer here people... not that I'm complaining. I actually like using it.)

There are other things I would love to have (like, my mortgage and car paid off, the bathrooms redone, basement finished ....), but I'm also not a greedy person. Time with my family, and for whatever my husband picks out for me to be chosen with love (and for him to remember he has to shop for me, for baby, and for me from baby ...) .

Can you see the teacher/organizer/mommy/housewife coming out in that list?


{On a side note, I once said I saw no point in the hamburger patty maker. And then I had a small whining child and raw meat on my hands (and deformed looking burgers) ... I am retracting my original view of the patty maker. Also, I keep burning myself through my oven mitts. Yet I am too cheap to buy new ones.}


So, how about you. What's on your wish list for this holiday? 

2 comments:

  1. You're the first person I know that has made that decision. I think the reasoning behind it is really interesting (and thought provoking) and it makes me wonder if any of my other friends feel that way.

    Also, the hamburger press is the most ingenious invention ever. My mom gave me her old one and I will never go back to just shaping them with my hands. So much cleaner to do it with the press. Also, once you get a Kitchen Aid you'll probably wonder why you didn't splurge on it sooner (I did!). It's just so versatile! I use mine to shred chicken, mash potatoes, etc. But...now that I have one I want all of the attachments, and they're expensive. :-( I'm not ready to splurge on those just yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah! I know. My mom-in-law has one (the mixer), and the ice cream maker attachment for it - so jealous. The attachments are very expensive.

      (I didn't notice you'd left a comment, I would have replied sooner)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment!
Please remember to keep it on topic, and free of any offensive language.

Any comments violating these terms is subject to removal.