I've been slowly working on organizing things around our house, to help keep things neat and tidy, and to help us save some money around here. So, I decided to make a recipe binder, which is something I've been wanting to work on for a while now anyway.
I had seen Teresa's recipe binder, and Jen's binder at IheartOrganizing , so I used theirs as a launch point for mine.
First I gathered the supplies I would need:
2" binder
divider pages
colored cardstock
divider tabs (small)
photo page organizers (hold 3 4x6 photos/page)
clear page protectors
3 hole punch
Then I sat down and listed all the types of recipes I had and the categories/sections I wanted to make in my binder.
I used the divider pages for each of my main sections, then used the cardstock and small tabs to make the 'sub-categories'.
The photo page holders are great for holding the little recipe cards you find at the grocery and in magazines.
The clear page protectors are good for holding the full-page magazine recipes, or anything important you're going to reference time and time again (measurement conversion charts...).
I still need to make a cute cover for my binder, but it works :)
I have 10 sections in my binder, with sub-categories :
* Beverages
* Baked Goods (non dessert)
* Appetizers and Snacks
* Side Dishes
* Desserts
Icing, Toppings, etc..
Cookies
Cakes, Cupcakes & Brownies
Pies & Cobblers
Other
* Main Meals
Beef
Poultry
Vegetarian
Pasta
Soups & Stews
Sandwiches & Salads
Breakfast* Sauces and Seasonings
* Restaurant
* Holiday and Seasonal
* Dry Mix & Recipes
I think most of my sections and categories are self explanatory, but the Restaurant section is a place to put 'knock off' restaurant recipes, and to put menu printouts of places we really don't eat at, but have great sounding foods (like Panera).
As I get more recipes in some of the sections, I may create more sub-categories, but for now it's working great!





I LOVE the way you made the bigger tabs the categories and the smaller ones the "sub" categories. I never thought of that and I'm going to borrow that idea. :-)
ReplyDeleteThe bigger 'main' dividers are just the plastic kind, from Walmart/Target - and they have the pocket on the front of each one, so I can tuck new recipes to try in the pockets. And the smaller ones stay hidden behind the larger ones once the section/binder is closed, since they are just on cardstock.
Delete