Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Bookshelf to Play Kitchen




Many, many months ago I decided to turn an old bookshelf we weren't using into a play kitchen for my little guy. Since he's only 1, I wanted something that was his size to play at, and something I could easily re-purpose in the future as well. 




This bookshelf was mine as a child, and it's much older than I am, so it was looking a little rough.
But I didn't want to fully convert it into a kitchen, like so many re-do's you see online.
I wanted my bookshelf to just get a face lift, and a temporary switch, if you will. 



As you can see, it really was a bit beat up. It still is.
But I removed the back piece from the top, gave everything a light sanding then painted the whole bookshelf an off-white/grey/green-ish color (It was a Lowes oooppps no name mis-mix paint). Then I covered the back in some fabric. All I needed was a fat-quarter of fabric to cover it, and I just used masking tape to hold it, since it's on the back. 



I nailed the back on, then added some burners to one of the shelves.
I made the burners in Power Point, printed them on cardstock, laminated, then used heavy duty packing tape to hold in place. I had tried using clear contact paper, but it wouldn't stick to the paint.
I added 2 command hooks to the sides, to hold towels, aprons, keys, bags, etc... You never know what a kid might need to hang up in the kitchen. 

Finished product:




And, of course, no kitchen is complete without some felt foods!


Carrots, berries, broccoli, tomato, watermelon & an orange.
I found the cute produce baskets on clearance at Target over the weekend, 90 cents for both!
Not too bad. 


View my Felt Foods/Play Kitchen board on Pinterest for tutorials and inspiration!
There are tons of tutorials and ideas out there. 

or from the printables page. 

2 comments:

  1. I love how you reused your bookshelf and still left it open for changes in the future. I'd love to feature this in one of my Pintastic Friday's posts! Let me know if you'd be okay with me posting it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the versatility of it, and I'm sure the shelf will go through many, many more changes in its lifetime.

      And, of course you can use my post! Feel free to link over and use any pictures if you need to. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment!
Please remember to keep it on topic, and free of any offensive language.

Any comments violating these terms is subject to removal.