Saturday, September 1, 2012

Kitchen Oil & Vinegar Bottles


Custom Kitchen Oil & Vinegar Bottles


I wanted something cute in my kitchen to hold some oil, and my vanilla. I never use vinegar when cooking. So I needed some oil and vanilla bottles. For some reason I had never bottle an oil bottle. 




I wanted bottles that would go with our kitchen, too.



I found these cute bottles at the Dollar Tree. Dollar Tree! But, there was the slight issue of them saying 'Vinegar'. And me not loving them 100%. I didn't really want to see the oil and vanilla in the bottles, but I wanted to be able to know how full the bottle was.


So I decided to paint them silver, to match our appliances.
First I taped off the the tops of the bottle, and taped a line down each side, so I could see how much was in the bottles easily.
And, before this I lightly sanded the bottles - just a quick once over with some leftover sand paper.


Then I painted them and let them dry.



Peeled off the paint,
then brought them upstairs and filled them up.

I still need to add a label to the front side on each, I'm going to put the measurement line in the back, and add markings for each 1/2 cup.

We had the paint at home from a project hubs did many years ago
(he had a lightsaber building hobby),
so I just used some of that. And the bottles were only $1 each.
Not too bad!

2 comments:

  1. Do you know what kind of paint you used? Was it specifically for glass or does it matter as long as you sand it first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used just regular old cheap spray paint, probably from walmart. However, it's not holding so well on the oil bottle (the oil is rubbing the paint off).
    I was doing some looking, Krylon spray paint says it works on glass, so it should work, and comes in a ton of colors.
    Sanding it with sandpaper helps the paint stick, or you can etch it, and there is also a primer spray you could use first, after you sand/etch (krylon makes it). If I were doing a big project I would use primer, but for little things I don't know if it would make that big of a difference. If you've got several projects, and would use it, it might be beneficial, I've never used the primer for glass before, so I'm not sure how well it works.

    I will probably get new bottles sometime and some Krylon paint, and see if that holds up any better. (And, use a coarser grit paper, I just grabbed whatever J was last using, which was probably the 200 or 220 grit).

    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/krylon-white-indoor/outdoor-spray-primer-799650/
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/krylon-classic-gray-indoor/outdoor-spray-paint-851048/

    "When working with glass or ceramic:
    Lightly sand with fine grain sandpaper so that surface will not be slick – this allows paint to adhere better. Wipe clean with a tack cloth. Apply a primer to further improve adhesion (glass will no longer be transparent if a primer is used)." ~ krylon.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment!
Please remember to keep it on topic, and free of any offensive language.

Any comments violating these terms is subject to removal.