Saturday, September 22, 2012

DIY : Dryer Sheets


The homemade dryer sheets.
I saw these on pinterest a while back, but was a bit skeptical of how well it would actually work. 
Well, it works just as well as my store bought Bounce dryer sheets. 
And it's super easy, and relatively cheap. 


You will need some washcloths (or old towels cut to squares), some liquid fabric softener, a bucket, and some place to let the rags dry over night.

I used old washcloths, and some downy fabric softener. 

The Downy I used was just the smallest bottle Walmart had, and I used 1/2 bottle to make 6 rags.
(So, in theory you could use one bottle to make 12, or more)

Honestly, you want a rag that isn't super soft plushy and absorbent.
(So don't go break the bank buying Vera Wang wash rags)
Mine are something similar to these at Walmart.
(I bought mine a few years ago from Target though, the back to college stuff)
Just a cheap, basic wash cloth.
(If you're really feeling frugal, check the dollar tree!)

In a bucket, pour in your fabric softener. Now add your wash rags and let them absorb the fabric softener then ring out your rags, very well (you may have to do your rags in 2 parts, or do this a few times). The rags will have a weird slimy film feel to them. Let them dry over night (you can lay flat, or hang to dry). Now fold and store in a container or basket next to your washer and dryer. 

I have been using the same cloth for about a month now, and it still smells great, and is leaving our clothing nice and soft and static free (granted, we don't have any sweaters yet...). I do 3-4 loads of laundry a week, plus sheets every 2 weeks. That's 14-18 loads on one sheet. In theory, with 12 sheets, 1 a month - you could make dryer sheets once a year and be fine! However, I'm sure during the winter months they will dry out a bit faster, with the bulky, static-y sweaters and all. 

I use them on our sheets, our towels, our clothing, the baby's clothing ....
They have worked fine on everything.
So far, I haven't had any weird staining from the fabric softener.
I have also seen on pinterest you can do this using your homemade fabric softener, but I haven't tried it. 

Up next - The homemade Oxy-boost.
(It's even easier than this was!)

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try it!! We go through some serious fabric softener around here, this could save us so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment!
Please remember to keep it on topic, and free of any offensive language.

Any comments violating these terms is subject to removal.