Monday, August 20, 2012

Recipe Binder


I've been slowly working on organizing things around our house, to help keep things neat and tidy, and to help us save some money around here. So, I decided to make a recipe binder, which is something I've been wanting to work on for a while now anyway.




I had seen Teresa's recipe binder, and Jen's binder at IheartOrganizing , so I used theirs as a launch point for mine.


First I gathered the supplies I would need:
2" binder
divider pages
colored cardstock
divider tabs (small)
photo page organizers (hold 3 4x6 photos/page)
clear page protectors
3 hole punch




Then I sat down and listed all the types of recipes I had and the categories/sections I wanted to make in my binder.





I used the divider pages for each of my main sections, then used the cardstock and small tabs to make the 'sub-categories'.
The photo page holders are great for holding the little recipe cards you find at the grocery and in magazines.
The clear page protectors are good for holding the full-page magazine recipes, or anything important you're going to reference time and time again (measurement conversion charts...).

I still need to make a cute cover for my binder, but it works :)

I have 10 sections in my binder, with sub-categories :
* Beverages
* Baked Goods (non dessert)
* Appetizers and Snacks
* Side Dishes
* Desserts

Icing, Toppings, etc..
Cookies
Cakes, Cupcakes & Brownies
Pies & Cobblers
Other

* Main Meals
Beef
Poultry

Vegetarian
Pasta
Soups & Stews
Sandwiches & Salads
Breakfast* Sauces and Seasonings
* Restaurant
* Holiday and Seasonal
* Dry Mix & Recipes

I think most of my sections and categories are self explanatory, but the Restaurant section is a place to put 'knock off' restaurant recipes, and to put menu printouts of places we really don't eat at, but have great sounding foods (like Panera).
As I get more recipes in some of the sections, I may create more sub-categories, but for now it's working great!  

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the way you made the bigger tabs the categories and the smaller ones the "sub" categories. I never thought of that and I'm going to borrow that idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bigger 'main' dividers are just the plastic kind, from Walmart/Target - and they have the pocket on the front of each one, so I can tuck new recipes to try in the pockets. And the smaller ones stay hidden behind the larger ones once the section/binder is closed, since they are just on cardstock.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment!
Please remember to keep it on topic, and free of any offensive language.

Any comments violating these terms is subject to removal.