Thursday, August 2, 2012

Blackberry Cobbler

One of the desserts my husband really likes is blackberry cobbler. And there is a restaurant where we live that makes a good one. So we were a little bummed when we went there for my birthday and they were out. Actually, a lot bummed. So, I decided I was going to figure out how to make a good blackberry cobbler. 



I had tried my hand at making a Peach Cobbler, but that wasn't the greatest. The crust was off. So I kept searching for one that was a little more right. Hubs wanted something a little less cake-ish and a little more pie-ish. 
I found a recipe for a pie crust that looked a little more like a pie crust, so I thought I would try it.

Pat-in-the-Pan Pie Crust
2 cups bisquick
1/4 cup butter/margarine - softened
2 Tbs boiling water

Mix bisquick and butter, and water and stir until soft dough forms.
Press into pie pan.
Freeze 15 minutes, then bake 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees. Cool 30 minutes.








Ok, I forgot the 'freeze' step, which might have played a bit of a part in the crust rising a bit more on this than it appears in the bisquick book pictures. However, with the berries on top and baking it for 30 minutes, the edges were golden brown, yet the middle still had soft-gooey dough spots. Since there isn't any egg in the crust, it wasn't the end of the world, especially if you're eating it hot (you don't really notice a lot).
I think next time I will remember the 'freeze 15 minutes' step, then bake just the crust, and simmer the berries separately - then combine the 2 at the end, before eating.
Otherwise maybe bake the crust, then add the frozen berries and place back into the oven on a lower temp, just to heat the berries through.
That really was the only problem, the middle of the crust not getting baked fully.
Also, I added sugar to my berries. I like fruit to have a nice, sweet taste, and not a very sour or tart taste, just my personal preference.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment!
Please remember to keep it on topic, and free of any offensive language.

Any comments violating these terms is subject to removal.